Harvest on Lila's birthday, plant on Max's birthday...even though the party's not until Thursday, I found the garlic ready to go yesterday. So, instead of touring goat farms on Open Farm Day I dug the garlic in a soft, cool rain. Heavier rain fell last night and we are in for a wet week, so I guess I was just in time.
Last year I hosed the garlic off and dried it in the sun for a few hours. Since then I have read that I should not do that. This year I strung up the bulbs in the tractor shed with the dirt still clinging to them. After they cure for a bit, I will strip off the outer leaves and hang them in attractive bunches from the banister in the upstairs hall, like normal people do. Like I will do every year as long as I am still breathing.
The main exciting news is about the Lavignas. Though I have yet to conduct taste tests this year, Lavigna is again the outstanding variety in terms of size, beauty and vigor. I have left several in the bed to ripen bulbils; I plan to propagate Lavigna as my main hardneck variety.
But the news! ONE of the Lavignas is a freak!! Since it did not send up a scape, I thought it was damaged, and considered harvesting it early. Really what it was doing was forming topsets like a walking onion! One of the topsets is sprouting already. I have left the plant in the ground for now, and look forward to propagating both ends of it! Was this just a fluke, or is there such thing as topsetting garlic?
This year was my first year trying softneck varieties, and they all seemed to do great. My first taste was Kettle River Giant, which I was pleased to find nice and hot, both raw and cooked in some scrambled eggs.