Friday, July 13, 2007

New potatoes, elephant garlic and fava beans

I decided to "rob" the Green Mountain plants and found a few nice small potatoes for dinner last night. As bad as the fava patch looks with all the sooty mildew and aphids, there are a few pods coming along, so I picked the most mature of them and was pleased to find perfect beans inside the ugly exterior. I also yanked an elephant garlic and snipped some rosemary, thyme and parsley.

Potatoes were roasted with the elephant garlic, rosemary, thyme, olive oil, salt and a little balsamic vinegar. The favas I first shelled, boiled one minute, drained, and then slipped out of their tough outer jackets. With four eggs, the parsley, a little parmesan and salt I made a nice short frittata or tortilla. Favas are great with eggs!

All this was very nice with some Gruner Veltliner.

No comments: