Did final prep on two beds last night. Need to plant greens ASAP as well as tomatoes indoors. Seed potatoes are "chitting" in the kitchen - growing sprouts before planting. Peas are just up, red maples are blooming and lilac leaves are coming out.
One of the Marans laid a deformed egg yesterday, presumably due to the stress of the fox incident. I am afraid that Olivia was one of the victims. Definitely Goldie and Runty. The strange thing about Olivia is that I could never tell which one she was for sure by looking at her - I had to watch her behavior. I have been looking at the combs of the survivors to try to see if any of them look like they could be her, but I don't think so. Chickens' combs change shape over time, and these Marans hens don't have big floppy combs like the RIRs did.
In any case, Goldie, Olivia and the Sussexes were the always the first ones out the coop door and would have been the first fox targets. I imagine that a den of little fox pups ate well on Monday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment