Thursday, March 15, 2007

When does spring arrive in Maine?

1st Spring thaw. Yesterday's cold front felt like a tropical breeze. Lots of snowmelt - the swale is swollen, and the raised garden beds are visible. I saw a swarm of honeybeees high in a tree on Upper Pond Road the other day, and a "wooly bear" catepillar on the porch. Today I hear Red Winged Blackbirds in the ashes along Pleasant Pond Farm Lane.

Chickens have been free-ranging since 3/12, one week after Daryl #2's untimely demise. I would say that the first sign of spring that I noticed was the night of 3/2, when I saw a skunk ambling across Brunswick Road near Pleasant Pond Orchard. In subsequent days the skunks have dug up and stunk up around our place as well as the Viselli's, which I consider to be a good omen for job hunting. I did put out a number of rags soaked with red fox urine to discourage skunks from making dens under the ell -- hopefully this does not discourage Hiring Decision Makers.

Though it was forecast to be rainy today I opened the coop door for the eager free-rangers in the morning. By the time I got back from the (failed) truck inspection it was raining steadlily, so I thought I'd close the door. 1,2,3...14. No Daryl #1. Wandered around outside in the rain saying chickie chickie, no result. Crap. After the rain let up in the afternoon the usual free-ranging group made an excursion, but still no Daryl. Crap.

No comments: